I had the pleasure of knowing a great Puerto Rican woman who owned a little restaurant in Jamaica Queens NY some years ago. She made Arroz con Godules that were just wonderful. Of course she made them from scratch, unlike what I am about to share with you. Being an "always on the go" person, I came up with the following quickie one day to satisfy my Arroz con Gondules craving!
You will need:
- Instant White Rice
- Sofrito-A spanish tomato base found in the ethnic section of most grocery stores and it's not expensive!
- Sazon con achiote - seasoning packets by Goya - also found in the ethnic section
- Adobo Seasoning- all purpose Spanish seasoning
- 1 can pigeon peas (or garbanzo beans) drained well
To Make 4 Servings:
Put 2 cups water into a sauce pan. Stir into water 3 heaping tablespoons of Sofrito, 1/2 teaspoon Adobo, 1 packet Sazon. Bring to a boil, add 2 cups instant rice, stir, cover, and remove from heat.
Wait about 5 minutes. All or most of the liquid should be gone. Stir in drained peas and return to a low heat for a few minutes to combine flavors and be sure all liquid is gone. Serve immediately.
Free Grocery coupons for your favorite brands: Gerber, Science Diet, Lactaid, Kellogg's, Maalox, French's, Sweet n' Low and more.
Variations I have tried include :
- Add sliced green spanish olives, the cheap salad olives work great. These are added with the peas.
- Fry 3 strips of bacon until very crisp. Add crumbled bacon along with dripping to the water. This was great but high in fat as most good things are!
Want more recipes tips and ideas? Get them here!