The original Taste of Home recipe, Orange Banana Nut Bread, called for walnuts. As always, I used on hand ingredients accordingly replacing “nut” with flax seed in the title. After reading several pages of comments, I adjusted the recipe as suggested.
Orange Banana Flax Seed Bread
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest - (added per recommendations)
3 cups all-purpose flour - (reduced by 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts – (about 1/3 cup flax seeds)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, and eggs; mix well.
- Stir in bananas, orange juice, and orange zest.
- Combine the dry ingredients; add to banana/orange mixture, beating just until moistened.
- Stir in walnuts if using. Sprinkle tops with flax seeds.
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 325 degrees F for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
Oh man, the family immeasurably enjoyed this bread, both loaves were consumed in 24 hours. The flax seeds provided a slight, almost delicate texture, contrasting the moist center quite nicely. This left me wondering if walnuts wouldn't be somewhat overpowering. Promising “most definitely” to bake this one again, I’m considering dark chocolate shavings for next batch. Mmmmm orange and dark chocolate is one of my favorite flavor combinations. Until next time…
Are you hungry? ♥