Chicken and rice is one of my all time favorite meals. Last month Isabel Foodie and the #SundaySupper group featured a number of phenomenally delicious Chicken and Rice recipes. Since then I’ve had chicken and rice on my mind constantly. This week I finally found the time to address this overwhelming craving. Without doubt, this Chicken and rice recipe is my favorite to date. Besides being a #SundaySupper inspired meal with a South American flare, I used up leftovers in the fridge. It was the perfect meal for THIS weekend. Floridians know emptying the fridge is a necessity when a weather system is approaching. We stocked up on ice, water, and gas for the grill yesterday. Today, we eat chicken and rice while awaiting the arrival of Isaac!
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
Empty the Fridge Chicken and Rice
Yield: 2 servings
- 3 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 - 3 Tbps olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped vidalia onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green peper
- 3 cloves garlic, whole
- 4 - 5 slices jalapeno peppers, jarred
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup white rice
- 2 cubes chicken bullion
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 packet Sazon Goya with Azafran (saffron)
- 1 cup leftover mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup fresh cilanrto, chopped
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Brown the chicken thighs and cook until juice runs clear, about 10 minutes. Add the onions, green peppers, jalapenos, and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 cups of water enough to dissolve in it the chicken bullion cubes, set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium low, add the tomato paste and the rice. Stir to blend. Slowly add the chicken bullion broth, stirring to deglaze the pan combine the bits of browned chicken. Add the Sazon packet and stir. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid. The rice will be wet but not completely cooked. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of water and stir. Pull apart the chicken pieces with a fork if desired. Add the vegetables and cilantro. Cover and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes or until rice is tender.
|2 - Add Tomato Paste and Rice|
|3 - Add Leftover Veggies and Cilatro|